Monday, April 9, 2012

A note of caution

I think I’m understanding a little better the whys and wherefores of a recent run-in I had with an ISKCON cult member after reading about the experiences of another former member of the group (link is at the end of this post).

I had put aside my anti-cult-watchdog tendencies awhile ago – and I want to be sure this blog doesn't become more about what I'm against  than Who I am for – but  I think I may need to revive them just a bit, at least in this case; I feel twice as responsible with regards to ISKCON, since my Krishna-centric postings might inadvertently encourage people to look further into Krishna via that organization, since it's easily one of the first places one would look to learn more about Him, and/or to connect with other devotees. 

Since I personally link Krishna with Christocentric Universalism more than I do with ISKCON or Hinduism, I feel it’s only right that I make my reservations about ISKCON more clear if I'm going to continue bringing Him up as I do.

So, on occasion, I'll be posting some things pertaining to ISKCON that folks might want to be aware of. PLEASE NOTE: While to say that ISKCON is an "evil" organization might be overkill, it does have its dark side, and, at the very least, involvement in it could take over one's life, becoming a substitute for a relationship with God if one isn't careful. And if I thought that the things I post about Krishna ultimately led someone into that sort of existence, I would feel terrible.

Without further ado, below is an incredibly informative and helpful article, "On Leaving ISKCON", by someone who was with the organization for 17 years:

On Leaving ISKCON, by Steven J. Gelberg